Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Writing About Ekphrasis 4

 In a section of Everything's an Argument discussing the use of visuals to create pathos it says, “When you compose a visual, you have to be certain to generate impressions that support your arguments, not weigh against them” (Lunsford and Ruskiewicz). This statement had me question whether it is possible to have everyone support your argument with just a picture. The ability to have the majority of people agree with what you are arguing via an art piece is increasingly difficult given the worldwide spread of images via the internet, which makes me question whether it is more important to persuade an audience or to just get their attention. 
In terms of artwork that is shared digitally, the variety of perspectives can create a point different from the way you perceive it due to factors such as race, religion, income, sex, location, etc. For example, images from the January 6th United States Capitol attack can be perceived as infuriating for some, and for others, it might be deemed appropriate. When it comes to art, especially art that will be shown to many people, I think it is good to have a purpose/argument in place to direct the focus of the work. But, at the same time, invite people to feel passionate about a differing or congruent viewpoint through irony, medium choices, subjects, etc. in the piece.  
The Ekphrastic Writer, when discussing the logic of paintings, says, “But it doesn’t have to be logical in a customary way; it can invent its logic. It is up to the viewer to respond to it, to see it” (Baugher). I think this perfectly explains my point. An artist generates a unique purpose, but in the end, it is the viewer that creates the narrative. This same rationalization can apply to my Ekphrastic writing. I think it is important to have a purpose for my writing but, at the same time, leave room for discussion with my application of strong wording. When it comes to ekphrastic writing I think it is also important to consider how the artist is trying to persuade and to predict how successful it might be based on its audience. By analyzing the rhetoric of artists, I hope to improve my rhetoric and create more thought-provoking writings that do not rely on mass appeal. 


Works Cited

Baugher, Jenée. The Ekphrastic Writer: Creating Art-Influenced Poetry, Fiction and Nonfiction, ebook, McFarland & Company, Inc., 2020.

Lunsford, Andre, and John Ruszkiewicz. Everything’s an Argument. Eight Edition, ebook, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2019.

 














 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Reflection

I gained a lot from this class. I am glad that I was exposed to several different writing mediums like digital, memo, script, and academic r...